There are multiple options travelers can pick from to get around the country.
- Domestic flights – limited to only 3 other local airports (Bumthang in central Bhutan, Tashigang in the east and Gelephu in the south) Tashigang and Gelephu airport are not operational at the moment.
- Taxi – If you can negotiate a better deal with local taxi drivers, most taxi driver can understand and speak Hindi.
- Organized tours by local tour operator – All travelling itinerary, transportation and accommodation will be arranged by the tour operator.
- Driving into Bhutan – You may drive your own car; however it involves additional paperwork on your arrival at the entry point. You will have to get the authorized letter from the Road Safety and Transport Authority.
- Car rental service – You also have the option of hiring an SUV or a mid-size coach as per your preference. This is the most preferred option among the independent travelers as it provides convenience and better experience.
Common car option available for hiring service:
|Vehicle Type||Maximum Capacity||Approximate Rate|
|SUV||2 travelers||Nu. 30 per kilometer|
|Hi-roof||8 travelers||Nu. 35 per kilometer|
|Coaster||15 travelers||Nu. 45 per kilometer|
Hiring charges are subject to change and rental charges may vary among different car rental service provider. Please note that service provider will charge a minimum of 100 kilometers per day in cases where car usage does not exceed 100 Kilometer. Usage exceeding 100 kilometers will be charged on actual. However most service provider offer a daily rate.
|Paro||Thimphu||55 KM||2 hours|
|Phuntsoling||Thimphu||180 KM||6 hours|
|Thimphu||Punakha||70 KM||3 hours|
|Punakha||Gangtey||70 KM||3 hours|
|Gangtey||Bumthang||193 KM||7 hours|