Visitors of all nationalities except those from India, require a visa to visit Bhutan. Visa upon arrival option is only available for visitors from Bangladesh and the Maldives.
You can apply for the visa online or through a local travel operator in Bhutan can apply for it for you.
What are Bhutan Visa requirement?
- A digital copy of a valid passport
- A recent digital passport photo
- Arrival and departure dates
- Valid travel insurance for the duration of your travel
- Payment details
Your visa application process can only be completed once you have paid the one-off visa processing fee and the sustainable development fee for the duration of your trip.
How much is the Visa processing fee?
US$ 40 per person as visa processing fee.
What is Sustainable Development Fee and calculating your SDF?
all visitors must pay a Sustainable Development Fee (SDF) as part of their visa application process. The SDF is a daily levy which supports Bhutan’s development.
- US$200 per day per person for an adult.
- Children aged 6 to 12 at the time of travel receive a 50% discount on their SDF.
- Children below 6 are exempt from paying any SDF.
For example, the total SDF payable for a couple with a six-year-old visiting Bhutan for 4 nights would be
(2 adults * US$200 * 4) + (1 child * US$100 * 4) = US$2000
*This does not cover your travel expenses (accommodation, transport & meals, etc)
What is the visa application process?
You can apply your visa online using the visa portal. Alternatively, if you are looking for a hassle free booking experience, you may also apply for it through your local tour operator.
- Pick a local tour operator
- Confirm travel dates and tour itinerary
- Book hotel, flights, transport and guide
- Complete payment which includes your visa fee, SDF, and your trip cost
- Tour operator will apply your visa on your behalf
- Department Of Tourism will verify your payment details and approve your visa
- A copy of visa will be shared to you